Information, Research and Price Estimates for Painting Your Home or Business
Painting your house is one of the best ways to add value to your home when using quality paints and proven techniques. This is true even if you are putting on the same color as before. Keep in mind, using high quality paint can make a surface more abrasion-resistant, easier to clean and capable of washing without the risk of removing/scrubbing off the paint.
If you are working indoors, you must attend to the holes in walls and ceilings before applying on a new coat of paint to ensure a great finish. These areas should be repaired with a vinyl spackling compound and they will usually require more than one coat due to shrinkage. Larger areas of drywall or plaster damage will most likely need more time and possibly wallboard or plaster patch. Visit this link to read our article on simple drywall patches. You can make wallboard repairs with Fiberglas joint tape and drywall joint compound. Plaster repairs can be successfully made with plaster patching product. If you need to blend in a textured finish after you make a repair, try using a spray texture in an aerosol can.
For exterior finishes, you will probably be working with old flaking paint on stucco, siding, trim, gutters and downspouts. This needs to be removed by hand or pressure washed before you put a fresh coat of paint or primed . The most effective approach would be to begin with a power washing with water to remove the majority of the damage and then use a paint scraper to remove the remaining flaking, chipped or blistered paint. Once that is done, mix together a solution of 50/50 bleach and water to remove mold and mildew. Paint Selection Your next step is to select the right paint and applicators for the job. This step is essential to an attractive and long-lasting result. As a rule of thumb, note that the more costly the paint is the better quality and longer wearing. Basically this means is that a costly paint will most likely get the job done in one-coat, be abrasion-resistant and remain good looking for a longer period of time, such as Behr ULTRA Premium paint. It is definitely worth paying the extra money. Below are a few tips on what type of paint should be used for applications.
Oil-base semi-gloss enamel should be used for surfaces that will be subject to abundant moisture, such as basements, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and kitchens. Although new advances in latex paint are making latex just as durable in wet spaces. Look for Gladdens’ Gripper
A High-quality 100-percent-acrylic latex flat wall paint should be used on other surfaces or NANOGUARD® technology adds an extra-protective shell for protection against damage from sunlight, moisture, stains and dirt. This paint and primer in one creates a tough STAYS LOOKING NEW LONGER™ radiant, sleek finish.
Exterior and interior paint should be selected according to the material that you are painting. There are special paints designed to work with different materials.
Using Quality Paint
When it comes to painting, about 90 percent of a good paint job is in the preparation. This, however, doesn’t mean that the other 10% should be ignored. Preparation gets the surface ready for paint, but if the paint isn’t of good quality then it will soon fall apart from cracking, peeling and chipping. The quality of the paint, therefore, is vital to a good, long lasting paint job.
Timothy Parks Construction, Inc.